שר עשרת אלפים
תגובות: 12993
זיך איינגעשריבן אום: מאנטאג יוני 06, 2011 11:01 am
לאקאציע: בתוך עמי אנכי ישבת

מטרה פאר אונזערע נסיונות

• ציטיר
  • צו לייגן א דאנק דארפט איר זיין אריינגעלאגט

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Q: Why does Hashem need to test us? Doesn’t He already know what we are going to do?

A: Tests serve two purposes:

1.To give us greater happiness. A person enjoys something more when he worked hard to earn it, not when he gets it as a present. When a person has difficulties and challenges in life and successfully overcomes them, it brings him great happiness. If a person overcomes spiritual challenges and successfully keeps the mitzvos in his lifetime, he will have a great happiness that will last for eternity.

2.To help a man achieve perfection. A test is an opportunity to grow and to bring out great potential in a person.

(Rejoice, O Youth 615–620)
לעצט פארראכטן דורך SPUSMN אום דאנערשטאג נאוועמבער 16, 2017 11:57 am, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
עת לחשות ועת לדבר - קהלת ג ז
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

בעולם האמת

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Where You Will See the Truth
SimchaMinute by Rabbi Avigdor Miller

This is a world of tests. We are tested in This World by false things, by illusions. We will not merit to see the full truth in This World, only in the World to Come. Thus, there has to be another world.

That is where Hitler is right now, being punished with an awesomely fierce punishment. The righteous are witnessing it in the World to Come. That’s part of their reward, seeing the righteousness of Hashem’s Wisdom. As they are in the Next World, they are not being tested any more and they are allowed to see the truth.

— Ohr Avigdor Shaar Bechinah
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

א עבד השם ווערט געמאסטען וויפיל ער טוהט, נישט וויפיל ער טוהט אויף

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Succeeding as a Servant of Hashem

Sometimes Hashem decides that despite all of a man’s efforts, they will be useless and his desires will be frustrated. Then the desired result will not be carried out...

The degree to which a man’s efforts succeed depends only on the decree of Hashem. But the efforts themselves are the tests by which a man shows whether or not he succeeds as a servant of Hashem.

— Ohr Avigdor Shaar Bitachon
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

האסט געקענט זיין א היפאפאטימוס (hippopotamus)

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Happened On YOUR Birthday?

To be born is a very great happiness. How many children are not born? They fail on the way to birth. How many are destroyed in the womb? How many are never even conceived to start with? And therefore we have to thank Hashem for making us. Of course most people never think about that, but for a servant of Hashem that's one of the first duties. We bend our knees to our Maker, our Creator for the great happiness that we came into existence. We could have been something else. All the chemicals that compose our body could very easily have been formed into an alligator or a tree. And nevertheless Hashem arranged those chemicals into the form of a human body, a great privilege indeed for each of us.

-- Ohr Avigdor Shaar Avodas Elokim
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

מען דארף האבען א פרייליכע שטוב און זיין א תורה אידיאליסט

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Adorn the Home With Torah

We must apply ourselves to the career of adorning the home with as many holy festivities and Torah-celebrations as possible: Pesach, Shavuos, Succos, Purim, Chanukah, Chamishah Asar B’shvat, Lag Baomer, and even Isru Chag and Rosh Chodesh, in order to create an atmosphere of serving Hashem in simcha, so that the home be regarded as a place of happiness of Torah-idealism.

— Awake, My Glory
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

אִם בְּחֻקֹּתַי תֵּלֵכוּ - שכר מצוה מצוה

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Parshas Bechukosai: The Reward of a Mitzvah

From Kingdom of Cohanim by Rabbi Avigdor Miller

“If you shall walk in my statutes” (Vayikra 26:3).

It is noteworthy that all the rewards for compliance with the Torah are solely in this life. Rambam (Teshuvah 9:1) explains that the promises for happiness in this life are not intended as the ultimate reward, but are promises of opportunity to accomplish more good deeds and to gain more merit.

Similarly, the retribution of unhappiness which is foretold for transgression of virtue is not the ultimate punishment, which is in the Afterlife; but Hashem foretells the loss of opportunity to accomplish righteous deeds due to various forms of suffering. Thus it is said: "The reward for a mitzvah is a mitzvah, and the reward for a transgression is (another) transgression" (Avos 4:2), because he who seeks to do mitzvos is rewarded with opportunity to do more; and this is the greatest of rewards, as is said: ״Better one moment of Torah and good deeds in this world more than all the life of the World to Come" (ibid. 4:17).

Peace and prosperity are therefore to be very greatly prized, and must be utilized for their great opportunity to achieve; for this gift of opportunity is the greatest of gifts. We also learn therefrom that the failure to utilize good health and tranquility is the greatest of misfortunes, worse than famine and war and pestilence.
The failure to utilize good health and tranquility is the greatest of misfortunes
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

א הייליגע פייער ברענט

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

A Holy Flame Burns

Kabolas Hatorah was not a one time thing (it just happened once at har Sinai), but it’s something that takes place every day. A girl marches into a synagogue, takes a seat in the ladies’ section, opens up a siddur (prayer book) and reads the English — the first time in her life she’s in a synagogue.

She walks in with a little flame, a holy flame burning in her heart and now she’s mekabel (accepting) the Torah. Whatever her Torah is, is still pretty small, but she’s mekabel her Torah.

— Receiving the Torah 2 (#508)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

א בריוו פון רבי אביגדור מיללער צו זיין שוואגער (ווייב'ס ברודער) הרב ישראל מאיר לעסין בעטענדיג אים צן קומען אים העלפען אין זיין נייע רבנות פאסטען וואס ער האט באקומען אין טשעלסי מאסעטשוסעס ווערענדיג רב פון דער וואלנאט סטריט שוהל.
March 22, 1939

Dear Israel Mayer,

As you already know, I was recently elected Rabbi of the Agudas Sholom synagogue in Chelsea, Mass. There were numerous candidates for the position, and I was, indeed, fortunate to be chosen. As I wrote to your parents, my installation exercises will take place some time after the Passover holidays. I must confess, as a beginner in the vast duties of the rabbinate, and due to the many details of the installation exercises in which several synagogues will participate, I will be overburdened with the material as well as the spiritual duties entailed. I need a competent rabbi – one of my own people – with whom I can confer and depend on you for advice and aid.

As you know Chana Ethel is so busy with the three children that I must also help her. You can understand how important it is for you to visit us for several months until after my installation and the first trying months of the rabbinate.

I realise how difficult it will be for your father to let you go, and I know of your great help to him in his many rabbinical duties. But I am sure that for a few months he will be able to spare you. Please go to the American counsel in Kaunas and, I feel certain that he will grant you a tourist visa for six months. If a guarantee is necessary, your father can supply the needed guaranteed that you will not leave the United States in the six months granted.

I trust you will comply with my sacred desire – may G-d only grant it!

Best regards from Ethel and the children.

Your brother-in-law,
Rabbi Avigdor Miller
I trust you will comply with my sacred desire – may G-d only grant it!

Kaunas איז קאוונא
אטעטשמענטס
LetterFromRebAvigdorMiller1939.jpg
LetterFromRebAvigdorMiller1939.jpg (188.28 KiB) געזען 1017 מאל
לעצט פארראכטן דורך SPUSMN אום דאנערשטאג נאוועמבער 16, 2017 4:59 pm, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

אויב מען נעמט זיך דער מיה קען מען נאך צו א געוויסע גראד צוריק דרייען דער רעדל

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

The Fire of Torah

In the olden days, the enthusiasm of Kabbalas haTorah burned in every home. One of the delights of the days of old was that the house was a place of Torah. Now today we don’t have that spirit with us as it was in the days even of 100 years ago, but if we make an effort, to some extent we can recapture this ideal.

— The Home, Fountain of Torah (#967)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

דער תורה הקדושה איז נצחיות

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Torah Is Eternal

It has amply been demonstrated from the Scriptures that the Law of the Jews is for the end of time… The voice of the Scriptures is loud and clear and proclaims that the Torah of Moses is forever immutable, and declares G-d's undying love for His chosen people.

— Awake, My Glory
לעצט פארראכטן דורך SPUSMN אום דאנערשטאג נאוועמבער 16, 2017 4:59 pm, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

שויתי ה' לנגדי תמיד

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Be Aware of Hashem

What’s the purpose that Hashem does sometimes things that are contradictory to [His} principles of kindliness? The answer is there is a great kindliness that’s paramount. And that’s the kindliness called yiras Hashem — to be afraid of Hashem. The greatest achievement that a man can accomplish in his lifetime is yiras Hashem. Now pay attention: Yiras Hashem means to be aware of the presence of Hakadosh Baruch Hu. The more you’re aware, the more successful you are.

— The Wine of Prayer (#555)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

מען גלעט אונז אויס

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Getting Smoothed Out

We're put in this world to be formed into something beautiful. And so a pummel here... and a knock here.... and a punch here. We think it's all a waste. We would like to get along without it, but that's making us, it's rounding us out, it's smoothing us. It's making us into what we are supposed to become.

Part of our being in this world is involuntary perfection.""

— Evil of Confusion (#6)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

אַל תְּקַנֵּא בָּרְשָׁעִים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

אַל תִּתְחַר בַּמְּרֵעִים אַל תְּקַנֵּא בָּרְשָׁעִים. כִּי לֹא תִהְיֶה אַחֲרִית לָרָע נֵר רְשָׁעִים יִדְעָךְ (משלי כ"ד, י"ט-כ')
From Middos, Whom Hashem Chooses (#544):

When we see reshaim who rise to power, and then they die in the midst of their glory, we should learn the lesson that Hakadosh Baruch Hu is going to take revenge on all evildoers. That’s only a mashal; what these people get in this world is only a very small indication of what they’ll have in the world to come.

Anytime that we see a case of an important person who dies early in his career, like a gangster is shot down, we should not waste the opportunity. We should study that and store it away in our memory. And from time to time, we should speak about it, because the yetzer hara is always busy talking about the misfortunes, the sufferings of the righteous, and trying to portray the world as a place of hard luck for the good people. It’s important, whenever we can, to emphasize whatever we see about the reshaim who suffer.

For example, that famous singer who died young — J________ . This fellow was a tramp. This fellow was one who encouraged the youth to take narcotics. His songs were directed to a life of disillusion, a careless and irresponsible career of running after whatever your heart desires, whether it’s dope or other things. Therefore, he was a corrupter of the youth when he was cut down by a bullet in the beginning of his career.

These people are all examples for us to study. I’ll add a few from my own memory. I mentioned many times here, M___________. You remember him? (That’s not even his name; he's a Jew.) So he marries a gentile woman, and he’s getting rich and he was riding in his private plane, and one day he fell out of his private plane. Or Mr. and Mrs. W________, the owners of ________. They were riding in a plane Friday night. Friday night, they're going to Los Angeles for a party for all the ________ people. But they never made it. I wrote to the ________ people once. I said why don’t you take an example of Mr. and Mrs. W________? At least we have to take the example.

Hakadosh Baruch Hu is giving a message that this world is a disappointment to the reshaim. Don’t think that the reshaim are happy and successful; it’s only for the moment. You'll see them a little later, things will be different.
Hashem is giving us a message: this world is a disappointment to the wicked
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

תודה וקול זמרה

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Many Sources of Happiness

The only genuine form of happiness is to learn that life is full of happy phenomena. Each phenomenon, when properly studied, becomes a source of happiness.

The singing of thanks to the Creator is actually a study of the joys and benefits of that for which the thanks are being given. When one has studied many phenomena in this manner, he is thereby afforded many sources of happiness.

— Awake, My Glory
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

הִתְהַלֵּךְ לְפָנַי וֶהְיֵה תָמִים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Be Perfect

Hashem made the world so each one of us should have an opportunity to gain perfection. Sheleimus (perfection) is what Hashem desires of everyone: to perfect his character. He gave us a body, He gave us a character, gave us middos (character traits), and He told us Get busy: “His'halech lefanai v’hayei tamim — Walk before me and become perfect.”

— Fundamental Principles (#E-201)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

חכמת אדם תאיר פניו

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Wisdom Is the Light of the Mind

For the people who think about the chovos halevavos, their mind is like a chamber which has become illuminated.

It’s like when the light goes on in a dark room and the whole room is filled with light. So it is that an individual’s character becomes changed because of the great influence these thoughts have on him. That’s why [wisdom] is the light of the mind."

— Ohr Avigdor Hakdama
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

How Important Are The Avos (Forefathers) In Your Life?

"BECAUSE AVRAHAM LISTENED TO MY VOICE." (Breishis 26:5)

This is one of those principles on which the Torah depends; that all the good that Hashem has done to us and that Hashem will do for us is because of the merit of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob our fathers, because they kept the way of Hashem to do righteousness and judgement" (Rambam, More Nevuchim 3:43). Yet here we see that because of Abraham alone Hashem declared that He would multiply his seed like the stars of heaven and would give them all the promised lands and that all the nations will be blessed (or "will bless themselves") by his seed.

-- The Beginning
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

זעהענדיג דער יד ה', וַיַּאֲמִינוּ בה' וּבְמֹשֶׁה עַבְדּוֹ

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Hashem's Hand in the World

Krias Yam Suf was not for the purpose of rescuing us from Pharaoh and his army. It was for one purpose: "Vayaaminu b’Hashem u’b’Moshe avdo — They believed in Hashem and His servant Moshe." The result was a tremendous achievement in recognition of Hashem.

They believed in Hashem before, too... But they gained a high degree of perfection now, and that was the purpose of Krias Yam Suf: Not to save the bnei Yisrael, [but] to show them the yad Hashem in the world.

— Show Me Your Glory (Gifts of Emunah) (#E-176)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

לעולם יהא אדם ירא שמים בסתר ובגלוי

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Self Control at All Times
Simcha Minute by Rabbi Avigdor Miller

Even when the gentiles were at their best, in their private lives they did many wicked things that no one knew about. But the Torah trains people to practice self-control at all times, even in secrecy.

That is essential. If a person will only behave decently in public but will commit all kinds of things in private, he will certainly not succeed in the Next World. He won’t even succeed in This World. — Ohr Avigdor Shaar Avodas Elokim
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

טראכטען פון באשעפער

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

The Happiness of Thinking about Hashem

From Ohr Avigdor Shaar Bitachon by Rabbi Avigdor Miller

Imagine a man who has learned to yearn for Hashem even in the middle of a crowd. So he goes to a wedding, and while everybody is making noise and singing and dancing, he’s thinking of Hashem as if he’s all alone. Now it won’t last long, but even for a minute it’s already something.
But while he’s doing all these things, he’s thinking of Hashem

It pays to learn about the higher levels even though we don’t have the ability to remain long in that state of mind. Although we’re not capable of understanding such people, we’ll imagine as follows. Let’s say a man at this highest level is invited by his son or by his brother to come to a wedding. What should he do? He will probably accept because it’s one of the obligations of a Jew to bring joy to the bride and groom, especially if they’re close to him. When he comes, is he going to avoid looking at anyone? No, he’ll smile to everyone; that’s his duty. He’ll say mazel tov to everyone, and he might even dance also.

But while he’s doing all these things, he’s thinking of Hashem. He’d like to be alone with Hashem. His desire to be alone with Hashem is not because he wishes to be in the World to Come with Hashem. Right now at this minute it’s more delightful for him to think about Hashem in the context of this wedding. Even if he never gets to the World to Come, right now he wants to enjoy the happiness of thinking about Hashem.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

גיין אין די פיסטריט פון די אבות

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Walk in the Footsteps of the Fathers

The Mesillas Yesharim says in another sefer; we have to find time in our lives to ask ourselves the following question: "What did our avos (forefathers) do that Hashem chose them?"

We have to spend time everyday studying that. When we finally discover it, we have to say, “I also want to do the same”.

— Shir Hashirim #17 (#451)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

די כרובים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Parshas Terumah: Believing in Angels
by Rabbi Avigdor Miller

"AND YOU SHALL MAKE TWO CHERUBIM OF GOLD." (Shemos 25:18)

This is the most surprising of all the details of the Mishkan. At Sinai, G-d had explicitly commanded “You shall not make any graven image” (20:3); and this prohibition was one of the strictest. The image of the Golden Calf was considered an enormous transgression. But here there is a command to fashion two images and to place them in the holiest of places, upon the Ark of the Testimony.

We therefore understand that a supreme necessity required such an exceptional arrangement. To explain this, we must seek elsewhere in the Torah to discover the function or significance of Cherubim.

The Cherubim were intended as a symbol of the vast urgency of protecting the most valuable object: the Torah
“And He drove out the Man; and He stationed at the east of Eden the Cherubim and a flaming sword which turned, to guard the way to the tree of life” (Breןshis 3:24).

Here in the Mishkan the Cherubim were intended as a symbol of the vast urgency of protecting the most valuable object: the Torah, and the necessity to fear the word of Hashem that was deposited in the Ark. For the accomplishment of this vast purpose (“You that tremble at His word”--Yeshaiah 66:5), Hashem made an exception and permitted the making of images.

The Rambam (Maimonides, More Nevuchim 3:45) declares: “It is clear that the belief in the existence of angels is connected with the belief in the existence of Hashem; and the belief in Hashem and angels leads to the belief in prophecy and in the truth of the Torah. In order to establish firmly this principle, Hashem required that they put over the Ark the form of two angels, thus inculcating into the people’s mind the awareness of the existence of angels, which is next in importance to the awareness of Hashem.”

The word Mal’ach (angel) actually means “messenger,” for Hashem manages the world by countless messengers: “He makes the wind His messengers (Mal’achav)” (Tehillim 104:4).

All the regular forces of nature are really Hashem’s messengers that carry out His will in order to maintain the order of the world, and there are other messengers that perform secret functions outside of the regular phenomena of nature.

The Rambam declares that we must be aware always that nothing ever happens of itself,whether “natural” or supernatural; everything is done solely by His will by messengers that are fully under His direct and constant control. The two Cherubim demonstrate this principle. — A Nation is Born
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

דער גורם און דער תוצאה

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Therefore the frequency, the openness, of cause and result in physical things has two purposes.

One purpose is to cause people to guard themselves. Hashem wants people to guard their health. "Ki chafetz chesed Hu — He desires kindliness." To emphasize it, He brings the results immediately and clearly, openly.

And the second purpose is to test them and see if they’ll discover the concealed hand of Hashem in their history.

— Test of Emunah (#557)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

נפלאות הבורא אין ירקות

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Geometry in Nature: Romanesco (a vegetable)

Hashem has left His signature on the world, and we often discover it in the most unlikely places. For example, in the vegetable bin.

A fractal is a natural phenomenon (or a mathematical set) that exhibits a repeating pattern that displays at every scale — no matter how much you zoom in or zoom out, it looks the same. (It is also known as expanding symmetry or evolving symmetry.)

Romanesco, a vegetable related to broccoli and cauliflower, displays striking geometric features in its arrays of spikes. Scientists consider it’s patterns a perfect example of fractals in nature.
--
frac·tal
Mathematics

1. a curve or geometric figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

רעדען צום טאטען אין הימל

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

You Are Talking to Hashem
SimchaMinute buy Rabbi Avigdor Miller

Sometimes in Shemoneh Esrei, or in any place in the tefilla (prayers), when you say the word atah (You), stop on the atah and think a little bit about that word.

You’re saying You to Hashem.... You’re talking to your father. ... Once in a while we should utilize that opportunity when you say atah, You. It’s a powerful word.

— Seven Objectives of Tefillah (#864)
שרייב תגובה

צוריק צו “אז נדברו”