מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים
תגובות: 2905
זיך איינגעשריבן אום: זונטאג נאוועמבער 22, 2015 6:08 pm

רעדן צו די קינדער; פעסט, אבער מיט ריספעקט

• ציטיר
  • צו לייגן א דאנק דארפט איר זיין אריינגעלאגט

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

The Rav mentioned earlier that a parent should use the word "please" when speaking to a child. But doesn't saying the word "please" imply that the fulfillment of the request by the child is really only going to be a favor on the part of the child?

No. When a parent says "please" to a child, but he says it firmly, and the parent insists that the child do it, then the child gets the idea that he must do it, and he learns from his parents to say "please." It depends on the tone of the "please."

Now, if you say "please" and the child ignores you, then you are a failure. You are remiss in your duty as a parent. Either don't ask the child to do that thing, or if you do ask, it must be carried out. Your request must be carried out. And therefore, before you ask, you have to judge whether it's feasible.

A certain great man once told me, "Do you know why I have a reputation of being a man of power?" And he was a man who wielded a lot of power. He told me, "Because I never tried anything that I couldn't carry out." He only attempted things that he knew he could carry out. So he had a reputation that he was successful in everything. He always won! He always succeeded! Because he never tried anything that he would lose.

And therefore, if you want to be a successful parent, insist on things that you know you can win. Watch out! Watch your step and don't make a request regarding things that you won't win, things that won't be fulfilled. Because then you're going to become a loser in the eyes of your child.

-- TAPE # 498 (March 1984)

Credit: Toras Avigdor
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים
תגובות: 12993
זיך איינגעשריבן אום: מאנטאג יוני 06, 2011 11:01 am
לאקאציע: בתוך עמי אנכי ישבת

הוא הנותן לך

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Is Hashem’s Biggest Kindness?

How excited we should be over food, understanding that Hashem is feeding the entire world with plan and purpose! Of course we need food; otherwise we couldn’t live, or serve Hashem. And no matter how great the chessed of giving us the food, and life, also it’s enjoyable too! But the biggest chessed is that Hashem is teaching us that He is the “nosein lechem l’chol basar — the One who provides our food.”

– Show me Your Glory (#E176)
עת לחשות ועת לדבר - קהלת ג ז
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

טוב ורע - Know it in your soul

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Is the knowledge of right and wrong intrinsic in people?

Hashem imprinted on human nature a complicated set of instructions about right and wrong, truth and falsehood. And a man’s character cannot be happy unless it is in accordance with the instructions that are programmed in his soul.

(E-40, The Happiness Within)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

ס'נאר דא איין סימפעל אינסטראקשען וויאזוי צו ווערען א קדוש

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

You want to become a Kadosh?

You have to learn to say No to yourself.

— #933, Best Day of the Year
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

יָפָה שָׁעָה אַחַת בִּתְשׁוּבָה וּמַעֲשִׂים טוֹבִים בָּעוֹלָם הַזֶּה מִכָּל חַיֵּי הַעוֹלָם הַבָּא

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

הוּא (רַבִּי יַעֲקֹב) הָיָה אוֹמֵר, יָפָה שָׁעָה אַחַת בִּתְשׁוּבָה וּמַעֲשִׂים טוֹבִים בָּעוֹלָם הַזֶּה מִכָּל חַיֵּי הַעוֹלָם הַבָּא. וְיָפָה שָׁעָה אַחַת שֶׁל קוֹרַת רוּחַ בָּעוֹלָם הַבָּא מִכָּל חַיֵּי הָעוֹלָם הַזֶּה (אבות ד' י"ז)

Where Will You Find the Best Deal?

In the next world there’s no yetzer hara; it doesn’t pay to be there. It doesn’t pay to be in the next world! This is the world that it pays to be in, because here you can accomplish. It’s like the millionaire. He’s right now in Florida and he’s lying on a chair in the sun, but he’s thinking, all this is not bringing me in a penny. It costs me money to be here. Had I been back in New York in my store, every second I’d be raking in profits. That’s where I want to be!

– The Afterlife (#R035)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

צָמְאָה נַפְשִׁי לֵאלֹקים לְק-ל חָי לִבִּי וּבְשָׂרִי יְרַנְּנוּ אֶל ק-ל חָי (רבינו אבן עזרא)

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Will You Ever Find True Happiness in This World?

Everything in this world is a moshol for Olam Haba. Even when the chosson is under the chuppa and takes a peek at his kallah's beautiful face, he should know that the emotion that is stirred within is a feeling of Olam Haba. Our instinct is to hope for the infinite, which you won’t find in this world, and therefore no happiness in this world will ever truly quiet the longing in a man’s heart.

– Preparing for Eternity (#549)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

פאר פאסט נישט א געלעגענהייט

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Learning to Love Hashem

When you sit down to breakfast you should say "I love You, Hashem" to yourself. Oh, you say you love Hashem because of breakfast? It’s not fitting for such a subject! You’re making a big mistake, Because now we’re saying that to love Hashem you have to climb up a ladder, and the ladder is many rungs one after the other, and you can’t afford to skip any rungs. You need all of them. You have to utilize all the motivations that are possible to find.

— Learning to Love Hashem (#675)
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

נָגִילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה בָּךְ (שיר השירים א' ד')

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Are Your Emotions For?

We must speak of Hashem’s love more than anything else. When people get together and talk about where they’ve traveled, or what kind of car or furniture they’ve bought, they’re wasting their emotions. These feelings of enthusiasm are given only for one purpose — “nagilah v’nismicha bach” (Shir Hashirim 1:4): to love Hashem and come as close as possible to Him.

— Most Beautiful Nation
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

א מענטשען'ס לעבען איז א תורה (א עולם קטן)

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

Why is Yosef's history so important?

Three parshas are taken up by the story of Yosef...

The Torah is telling [us] that the story of a man’s life is a Torah. (Not only Yosef’s; it’s given as an example, among other reasons.)… Naturally, everything there is full of learning; every verse and every word has chiddushim (novel thoughts) if we study it properly. But one of the overall purposes is to teach us that everybody’s life is important.

-- The Tongue, The Last Day Of Judgment (#450)
לעצט פארראכטן דורך SPUSMN אום דאנערשטאג נאוועמבער 29, 2018 12:25 pm, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

וואס דארפען מיר זיך לערנען

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Do You Learn from the Immorality of the World?

The moral breakdown in the general society is also a sign from Heaven. The mingling of the sexes in schools and in business, the lack of restraint in female apparel, the breakdown of the authority of the husband and father, the aggrandizing of the youth: all this is intended to demonstrate the folly of the nations, and to warn us to keep aloof in every way.

— Sing, You Righteous

aloof
מיינט וַיִּגְבַּהּ לִבּוֹ בְּדַרְכֵי ה' (דברי הימים ב', י"ז ו')
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

ומי יאמר זכיתי ליבי, אפשר האסטו נאך אפילו נישט אנגעהויבען

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

מִי יֹאמַר זִכִּיתִי לִבִּי טָהַרְתִּי מֵחַטָּאתִי (משלי כ' ט')
Are Your Accomplishments Important in Hashem's Eyes?

You think that you are very important and that you are doing plenty for Hashem. Therefore, when you praise Him or thank Him, you think that is like doing Him an extra favor, and so you think you deserve to get more in return.

Who says that you're so important? Perhaps you haven't even begun fulfilling your obligations toward Hashem!

— Ohr Avigdor Shaar Avodas Elokim
לעצט פארראכטן דורך SPUSMN אום פרייטאג נאוועמבער 30, 2018 11:37 am, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

Inequality אין פארמעגען איז א טובה פאר די מענטשהייט

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

It is only because people need money that is in the possession of others that they are willing to do things. Money is thus the incentive to for doing all the things that men need [to do] for each other. The inequality in the distribution of wealth is one of the great benefits that Hashem provided to mankind.

— Ohr Avigdor Shaar Habechinah
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

מען וויל נישט קוקען

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Makes It "Hard" to Believe in Hashem?

The world is full of testimonies which are available to those who that are willing to look. Non-seeing is the cause of weakness in believing.

— Sing, You Righteous
SPUSMN
שר עשרת אלפים

דער מוח א בייז ווינדער; ווינדער שב'ווינדער

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך SPUSMN »

What Is the Greatness of Your Mind?

A person's intellect encompasses all that he is able to understand in the course of his life. The human mind is infinitely capable. A person can absorb facts and experiences without end. The mind is the most stunning of all accomplishments that Hashem made in the whole universe.

— Ohr Avigdor Shaar Habechinah
אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

טאלעראנץ איז ארגער ווי אומ-טאלעראנץ

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

When Jews are tolerated, is that better than being persecuted?

Now in our subject today, we are talking about resistance; that is the banner of the Jewish people. Resistance, as was explained is not only to armed opposition, also resistance is necessary to the ridicule of the nations, habooz l'gei yonim (Tehillim 123:4) the scorn of the arrogant against us, and that's what Mattisyahu had to contend with. But there is another resistance, that's just as difficult and just as important, and for this I will explain with a famous legend.

Once there was a man walking in the street with an overcoat, and the sun and the wind had a conversation. The wind said, "I am going to make this man remove his overcoat!" So the wind began to blow with force to pull the coat off his shoulders. What did the man do? He buttoned his coat more securely and he put his hands in his pockets to keep it from blowing off, and the wind lost out.

Now the sun said, "Let me take over!" And the sun began to shine, and it became warm and hot, and the man unbuttoned his coat, it became hotter so he carried it over his arm, and after a while he put it in his home and did not take it out anymore.

And that's the difference between persecution and tolerance. In the times of persecution there are people who yield, no question some people got lost because of persecution, but the majority of the people remained loyal. But the resistance to tolerance, that was the most difficult test of all. When the German people began to smile -- it wasn't a real smile, it was an external smile to the Jewish people -- when they showed their admiration for Mendelsohn because he was a writer and a philosopher, and Jews began to breathe the air of freedom, they became intoxicated in Germany.

Now, some of them began to assume positions in the universities, high office in government, and therefore it became a rush to assimilation in Germany. This resistance was the weakest of all, the resistance against the sun of tolerance. That's where the Jew is in the greatest danger, and that's our battletoday, to fight back against tolerance.

Now, we don't know how long it will happen; Hakadosh Baruch Hu might say, "My children, I see that it's too much of a test for you, to have too much tolerance, so maybe I'll change that and I'll have intolerance, so you'll button your coats more securely." So now the boys that run around with jeans and the girls with pants, and they engage in every kind of wickedness, because they are following the ways of the nations. Maybe after a while they'll think: Look, the nations hate us, and they are persecuting us; so maybe we should go back to the Jewish people, to our nation, and the boys will go to yeshivas and the girls to Bais Yaakov. Could be it's a better thing?

Of course it would be much smarter if we would use the tolerance that we have now, which permits us to practice our Torah without any hindrance, and now is the time! But I'm afraid that they won't utilize this opportunity.

But that's the great test of the blandishments of the goyim. When the goyim are nice to us, then that's the worst kind of test there is.

A Moment with Rabbi Avigdor Miller Zt"l #451
To listen to the audio of this Q & A please dial: 201-676-3210
אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

דער וועג צו שלימות: שומעין חרפתן ואינן משיבין

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

If someone says something mean to me and I'm burning up inside if I don't answer back, what should I do?

Let me tell you what you should do. Go outside to the apartment house next door and bang your head against the brick wall. One bang should be enough. If not, then two bangs. That'll quiet you down. It's much better - much better - than answering back. It's much healthier. So go outside and find a nice big brick wall and bang. It's better for your health; I'm not joking.

And in case you can't go out, then go into the bathroom and close the door. Flush the water and as the water is going down start muttering under your breath. Let it out. While the water is running down you mutter under your breath and that way it'll be inaudible to the people outside. Then come out of the bathroom and don't say a word.

Listen to this advice and you'll be successful. That's part of shleimus - of being a success in life - which is the reason you're in this world. Or you can answer back and be a failure.

-- TAPE # 232

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

רשעים על פתחו של גהינום

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

The Rav gave an example tonight of people in the concentration camps who were still rejecting Hakodosh Boruch Hu even at the very end. The Rav also spoke about how yissurim take off some of the punishment even without kavanah. But if someone rejects it all together, an apikoris, will it still an atonement for the person? Or is it totally wasted?

If a person is at the shaarei muvess, at the gates of death, and he is still a kofer, he's still an apikoris, when he walks into the gas chambers to be put to death, does his death accomplish something for him? Now I'm not capable of telling you that. It could be that it's a kaparah; although we have no example in the gemara for that. The gemara in Sanhedrin says that all the mumsei beis din, all those who are put to death by beis din, get a kaparah. But those people, before they die they say vidui, and vidui after all is a vidui of emunah. He says chotosi lefonecho Hashem, "I've sinned before You, Hashem; forgive me," and then beis din puts him to death. So there, surely his misah is a kaparah, no question about it, because he said vidui before he died.

But suppose a man went to his death, and he was still a mumar at the last moment - that I cannot tell you. I hope it's a kaparah, but it's up to Hashem to give that answer. I can't answer that.

-- TAPE # 946 (December 1993)

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

די וועלט איז די צענטער פון די בריאה

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

Rabbi, do you really believe that the earth is the center of the universe?

Absolutely. And I'll tell you why. The word "center" in our context means what's the most important place; that's the center of the universe. Look, there's no place in the universe besides earth that has life on it. Of course, NASA is wasting millions of our tax dollars trying to find life on other planets. But it's a waste; they won't find life anywhere else. Life is only on this earth.

Sir John Eccles said that there are so many details necessary for the preservation of life, that it's impossible that it should occur anywhere else. There are so many complicated factors and intricate details and you require every single one of them. If even one of them was missing then you couldn't have life on this earth. And so it's only on this earth that you'll find life. And therefore this earth is where Hashem's attention is mostly concentrated. That's why this earth is the center of the universe. Who cares geographically where it is?! That's not important at all!

I could tell you anyways that there's no such thing as the geographical center. According to Einstein, the universe is in constant flux. There is no such thing as the center - it's all moving. The sun is supposedly moving at 45,000 miles an hour. There's no such thing as the center of the universe. And therefore the only criterion for centrality of the universe is what Hakodosh Boruch Hu considers most important. And Hakodosh Boruch Hu said, Bereshis bara Elokim es haShamayim. Shamayim means space. He made all of space. v'es ha'aretz, and He made this earth. This little tiny earth. He made the whole gigantic universe - and this little globe. It seems ridiculous. It's like saying, "I came to visit New York City - and I went into a candy store to see the candy." New York and a candy store?! The universe and the earth?! How can we compare the two in one possuk?

The answer is that He created the universe, but the entire universe is nothing because He created the universe just for this little earth. That's what v'es ha'aretz means. And in the next possuk, Vha'aretz hoisa tohu, Hashem ignores the universe entirely. Forget about the universe, now He's only talking about this earth. From now on it's only this earth that matters. And after a few parshiyos Hakodosh Boruch Hu starts ignoring the earth and He's talking only about Avraham Avinu. That's all that Hakodosh Boruch Hu is interested in.

And therefore, the question is: Is Avraham Avinu the center of the world?! There were many great empires in his time, and the Torah doesn't talk about them unless it's in relation to the the family of Avraham. Is Avraham the only one that matters? And the answer is, Yes! Wherever he is, he's the most important one.

So the Jewish Nation - yes, we're the center of the globe. Wherever the globe is in the universe and wherever we are on the globe - it makes no difference. Because wherever the Jews are, they're at the center. So the Jews in Flatbush - they're the center of the universe. The Jews in Boro Park - they're the center of the universe. The Jews in Meah She'arim - they're the center of the universe. Wherever the Jews are, they're at the center. Because Hakodosh Boruch Hu's shechina rests only upon them.

Veshochanti besoich bnei yisroel - "I will dwell among the Bnei Yisroel." And where Hashem dwells, that's the center! That's what matters in the universe. Now, of course, Hashem is supervising everything. Everything! It's all going according to His master plan. But where is the place where Hakodosh Boruch Hu puts his finger and says, "That's My place"? Only among the Bnei Yisroel! Veshochanti besoich bnei yisroel.

-- TAPE # E-187 (May 1999)

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

מאַך לצנות (פון ע"ז), אבער ווער נישט קיין לץ!

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

Is it wrong to make jokes about minorities?

It depends on what the purpose of the joke is. If it's stam leitzanus then of course you can't. But if it's leitzanus of avodah zarah, then yes. Leitzanus of idolatry - of false religions, of false beliefs and ideals - yes. But you have to know how to make leitzanus. Not just to be a leitz. You can make leitzanus, but you can't be a leitz.

Like the Navi (Yeshayah 46:1-2) says about the idol. It was an avodah zarah with a big belly and the Navi said that this idol apparently has constipation. He's trying his best to relieve himself but nothing helps. That was said by the Navi in order to impress on people how empty is the worship of idols.

But leitzanus itself is absolutely wrong. And to make leitzanus of people because they're black or brown doesn't make sense at all. Being black or brown is no sin. You can't make leitzanus about that.

Now, leitzanus of leitzim, maybe. But the Gemara says kol leitzanusa asira, bar me'leitzanusa d'avoda zarah (Megillah 25b). That leitzanus is mutar because that leitzanus is da'as. It's a clarity of mind. There is nothing more important than da'as Hashem - than thinking along with Hashem. In order to make clear to ourselves - and to others - how wrong and foolish their beliefs are it's worth it to make leitzanus and to thereby show how silly their beliefs are.

-- TAPE # E-260 (January 2001)

לעצט פארראכטן דורך מונאוויטש אום פרייטאג נאוועמבער 30, 2018 11:31 am, פארראכטן געווארן 1 מאל.
אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

חנוכה מתנות

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

Should someone buy gifts for his children on Chanukah?

There’s no harm, but you have to be careful that it shouldn’t enter into the realm of the season’s holidays spirit. It shouldn’t be done because of the general atmosphere of the street, because they’re doing something like that. You have to beware of that attitude.

So, to give cash is a much better idea. Chanukah gelt is a well known minhag, so give cash if you can. I don’t say it’s wrong to give gifts; nothing wrong with giving gifts. But make sure, in your own mind at least, that you’re divorced from any thoughts of the season.

Chanukah is not “the season to give gifts"; no, no. It’s not the gift season; no. You can give gifts anytime. You can give gifts on Shavuos too, and Purim and Pesach. And if you want to give gifts on Chanukah as well, I’m not going to tell you no. But if you’re going to make a big fuss about it, and make it into an ideal, that Chanukah is the time to give gifts, then you might as well sing carols and put up a Chanukah tree, because that’s what it really is.

-- TAPE #E-170 (December 1998)

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

די נס חנוכה איז א מתנה טובה מהקב"ה

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

Chazal tell us that one of the nissim in the Bais Hamikdash was that the ner ma'aravi always burned longer than it should have. So why was it such a big neis that on Chanukah the oil burned for eight days?

No, no. It didn't always happen. Yes, for some time it happened always, but later on it stopped. By the end of the second Beis Ha'mikdash that neis didn't continue any longer. And the neis of Chanukah was a different kind of neis. The neis of Chanuka was all of a sudden. It was a big surprise. A small amount of oil, which should have only burned for one day, continued to burn and lasted eight days. They needed eight days to prepare the new oil and the small amount of oil lasted eight days. So that was a separate neis from the neis of the ner ma'aravi. And when they saw the neis Chanuka, they went wild with simcha because every neis is a matanah. A neis is a gift from Hakodosh Boruch Hu.

I'll explain that to you. The Chovos Halevavos at the end of Sha'ar Habechina says the following. He says that among the biggest gifts that Hashem gave our nation, the two most precious ones are the Torah and nissim. Do you hear that?! A neis is a tremendous gift. The world doesn't understand that. People think that a neis is merely that we are in trouble and Hashem came and saved us from our troubles. No, Hashem could have saved us in other ways - without a neis. What a neis is, is a gift of emunah. Nissim are a shot-in-the-arm of emunah. Instead of saving us in a natural way, He puts a neis there as a tovah for us. A neis is a tremendous giluy shechina to put into our minds a certain dose of emunah.

And therefore, we should make sure to study the nissim and think about them as much as possible. Hashem said, lma'an tesapeir b'oznei bincho uben bincho. Hashem wants you to always talk over the nissim that happened. Because even though you don't see it right now, but just remembering the nissim is a tremendous benefit that is on the same level as Matan Torah. The Chovos Halevavos says that the Torah and nissim are side by side the two greatest gifts that Hashem gave the Jewish nation.

-- TAPE # E-210

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

די דאפלטע ישועה; רבים ביד מעטים, ורשעים ביד צדיקים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

Why do we mention the idea of rashaim b'yad tzadikim in Al Hanisim? Isn't the miracle that it was rabim b'yad me'atim, a multitude falling into the hands of the few?

Now pay attention. Two things are said in Al Hanisim. One is the neis of rabim b'yad me'atim, the miracle of a multitude falling into the hands of the few. That's one miracle. After all, the Greeks had a big strong army. And the Jews didn't have any army at all. That's one neis. The miracle of giborim b'yad chaloshim and rabim b'yad me'atim, the strong into the hands of the weak and the many into the hands of the few. That's a big neis after all.

But the second neis is not only that the resha'im were defeated, but the added simcha, the added happiness, that they were defeated by tzadikim. And that's why we go out of our way to say rashaim b'yad tzadikim. The wicked were defeated by the righteous! A tremendous kiddush Hashem!

Look, when a rasha is walking in the street and he falls down dead, "Boruch Hashem," we say. We say Boruchs Hashem kein yirbu. But suppose a rasha would start up with a tzadik. He starts up with a chassidishe boy, a skinny little chassidishe boy. And this little boy takes his little fist and he gives the rasha a hit, and the rasha falls down dead. That's a kiddush Hashem, no question about it! It's rashaim b'yad tzadikim. It's a special simcha!

So, one is the neis of rabim b'yad me'atim, and the other is a neis that the tzadikim had their hatzlacha, their success. We want to see tzadikim have hatzlacha in this world. And therefore we say zaydim b'yad oskei torasecha, the wicked sinners fell into the hands of those who study Your Torah. Because it's a great simcha to see the tzadikim win out in this world.

-- TAPE # E-211 (December 1999)

אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

אשתו של יוסף, אסנת בת פוטי פרע

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

What was the merit of Osnas, that she was wed to Yosef Hatzadik?

The fact that she was able to withstand the negative influence of her home, and grow up to be a virtuous person; therefore Hakadosh Baruch Hu saw that she was similar to Yosef. Yosef was able to be omed b'nisayon, he withstood tests and temptations, and so did she. Therefore she was chosen as worthy of being a mate to him.

A Moment with Rabbi Avigdor Miller Zt"l #452
אוועטאר
מונאוויטש
שר האלפיים

דער פרייער, געבילדעטער ביזנעסמאן מיט זיינע תירוצים

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

There's a successful businessman, a liberal and educated businessman, and when he's asked why he's not interested in being frum, so he says because the religions caused wars in the world, caused fighting in the world.

My answer to him is, “Where do you see that Judaism caused wars and fighting in the world?” That they fought against us, we see. They persecuted us, we see. Where do you see that the Jewish religion, the Torah, caused fighting in the world? No such thing! We didn't go out to conquer nations and force them to accept the Torah. No fighting caused by us.

On the contrary, if you want any reason why you should go back to Judaism, it’s because we are the most peaceful of all nations. And if somebody will say, “Don't frum Jews fight among each other?” Show me a cemetery with war victims, with graves of frum Jews who fought with each other. Chasidim and Misnagdim had a war, but there are no victims, nobody died as a result of that war.

But between the Protestants and the others, oh, sure. Between the Christians and the Mohammedans, oh, yes. Whole armies of people were put to death by each other, and to this day there is battling. But not by us. So it's only an excuse for a man who wants to get lost among the goyim, probably he knows nothing about the whole subject anyhow. If he cared he could easily discover that the objection is not an objection at all, it's ridiculous.

The Jews don't fight; the Jews are My Dove, My Perfect One*. It's a peace-loving nation, and that's why a Jew should feel proud that we are the only ones that never caused any trouble in the world.

A Moment with Rabbi Avigdor Miller Zt"l #115

שר האלפיים

שנשיכתן נשיכת שועל ועקיצתן עקיצת עקרב

• ציטיר

תגובה דורך מונאוויטש »

How should a private Jew react to the disputes between the Gedolim, or to the disputes between groups of Jews in Klal Yisroel? Let’s say that this gadol has a machlokes with another gadol. Or a certain group of Jews are in machlokes with another group of Jews. How should I react?

Stay out of it. Keep far away, so that you don’t get burned. It’s none of your business. You’re not a gadol, so stay out of it.

Now, if it’s a matter of fighting against resha’im and apikorsim, that’s a different story. None of us can remain silent when we see what the Reformers are doing. When the Reformers say that when a Jew marries a shiksa without converting her, the children are Jews; there we should be fighting them. If a Jew says that you can be a good Jew and still work on Shabbos, then we fight him. If someone is fighting against Hashem, against the Torah, that’s when it’s time to open your mouth. There are times that you have to speak up, no question about it.

But when frum Jews are fighting, we stay out of it. That’s the only safe way. It’s a tragic mistake to mix in because opening your mouth is playing with fire. And not just any fire. Many people have found their way into the fire of Gehenim, because they were foolish enough to open their mouths. There are many people, many good people, who are screaming in Gehenim right now, because they opened their big mouths. So why would you want to make the same mistake they did?!

-- TAPE # 788

שרייב תגובה

צוריק צו “אז נדברו”